Thursday 2 October 2014

Making it up as I go along

I started this quilt as 2 mini quilts for friends - and I loved the blocks so much I made identical blocks for myself, and then I kept going. I was having fun trying new techniques , and practicing skills, and playing with my growing stash.

Original blocks:
Mini quilts for friends:
Then I added more blocks :
And the completed blocks so far:
I'm learning lots about HSTs, flying geese, and also quilt maths! I have had to write out and resize the block designs from various books. I'm aiming for 12 blocks and then will see what to do about sashing, borders etc. 

My little boy started school 3 weeks ago, and I am finding a bit more sewing time in the week...so exciting! Also it's lovely to see him learn and grow and make new friends of course!! 

Going to link to Needle and Thread Thursday. Thanks Kelly for the inspiration.

4 comments:

  1. The colors you have chosen are lovely and the blocks are beautifully made! Great job! This is going to be a wonderful quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy, I am having a lot of fun with it- and am enjoying making it as accurate as possible, which is funny because I am as far away from a perfectionist as you can get!

      Delete
  2. gorgeous! Makes me want to make a sampler and try all the blocks and methods i've always wondered about. inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna C!! You are the inspiration!!

      Delete